Monday, May 2, 2011

Tina & Arnold (Julie & Julia...)

After watching Julie & Julia last year, I was inspired by Julie's diligence and determination to complete Julia Child's French Cook book in a year.  So, for the past 2 weeks Arnold and I have been cooking up a storm and It's been a wonderful way for us to spend some quality time with each other. We always complain that there's a serious lack of solid Korean food in the Bay area so we decided to start off with some of our favorite Korean dishes.

My go to source for easy to follow recipes are: weekofmenus.com and maangchi.com.
Sunday: Spicy Pork Bulgogi (Dweji Bulgogi)
Monday: Soy Based Chicken (Dak Doree Ttang)
Tuesday: Kalguksoo (forgot to take pic!)
Wednesday: Sukiyaki (forgot to take pic!)
Thursday : For dessert we checked out Smitten Ice-cream
Def not worth $6/cone but it was cool checking out the liquid nitrogen-assisted ice cream maker
Our next dish: Sam Geh Ttang and Kalbi Jeem. Stay tuned!

So much for my attempt at portion control for my Hawaii trip. sigh..

4 comments:

  1. I'm hungry now! I'm making galbichim this week too! Did you know they sell shortribs at costco but w/o the bones. I think the bones give the dish a lot of flavor so I buy a pack with bones at the korean grocery and make my galbichim with half the costco pack and half the bones pack. I freeze the rest for galbitang. Galbitang is the easiest thing to make and I can eat it for days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh..what galbichim recipe are you using? My mama says the key is to use lots of onion to give it an extra sweet flavor. oh I never knew costco had it. Must check it out!

    Also, when you go to LA, you have to check out my favorite galbi tang place : Park deh gam neh (park's grill) on Vermont and Olympic. It's quite delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put several recipes together to make my own. It's so hard to find a good galbichim recipe. I think I got it pretty close to my mom's but nowhere near perfect yet! I can fwd to you if you want.

    Yes! I'd love restaurant recommendations for LA!

    ReplyDelete